Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hope.

I received the best news today! For the last two months, I have spent a lot of time volunteering at the orphanage here in Piura. We helped teach girls volleyball during their PE class a while back and there was one girl that stuck out to me the most. I've mentioned her before, her name is Andrea. Andrea was the most athletic out of all the girls by far and continued to show interest in the sport. As you know, the last month or so I've been coaching soccer at 6 different schools with a couple other volunteers. Andrea once again stuck out to me. Since the first day I met her, I instantly felt an emotional connection to her, almost like she was my daughter. I wanted someone to adopt her so bad. The last time I talked about her on this blog, I secretly hoped that someone seriously considering adoption would somehow come across this post and ask me about it. I want nothing more than to make sure she has a bright future ahead of her but how exactly can I ensure that when I obviously can't adopt her myself? I think about her often and wish that I could do something to ensure that she has a good future because I see so much potential in her. Last Saturday at our tournament, I met a guy who was watching all the games to pick out girls for the national team. He pointed some girls out from a different team that I knew already were good and had a lot of potential. This afternoon, I was informed that ANDREA is also being considered for the national team! I wanted to jump up and down with excitement, but I controlled myself. Although she is only being considered and nothing is official, it gave me hope. Andrea is such a sweet heart. I'm not sure if she even knows about this, but I really hope she is chosen. I can only imagine what it could do for her future. Like I said before, even if all it did was get her into a University to get an education...imagine what that will do for her life! Especially being an orphan, she needs to know that there is hope for her. 

It's really starting to sink in that I am leaving so soon, 3 weeks from today to be exact. I wish I didn't have to leave. The people here are so amazing, and I feel extremely blessed every day to have this opportunity to be here. I often compare this summer to previous years and just think about how I've been living all wrong! Being here has opened my eyes to so many things. It makes me want to continue to travel the world and enhance the lives of others where needed. The time I have spent here has been incredible, and the day it ends with definitely be sad. As I think back on my life, I realize how luckily I was to have been raised by a stable family, something that many people don't have. Im grateful for what I do have and to be able to spend my free time giving other people hope for a good life as well.

1 comment:

  1. awesome! yeay for Andrea. Looking forward to your safe return :)

    ReplyDelete